Bungendore Cemetery
Latitude: 35º 14' S Longitude: 149º 27'E
 

Online Data

 A - F

 G - N

 O - Z

 

Online Data

Bungendore Cemetery is located on the the eastern side of the town. The cemetery fronts Osborne Street.

The oldest headstone is of Michael Gilhooly, died 19 Aug 1853 aged 92 years

The oldest found record of death for Bungendore is that of Ann Phillips, died 8 August 1838 aged 23 years. It is not known when the first burial took place in the cemetery. The cemetery is made up of Catholic, Church of England, Presbyterian, Methodist and Seventh Day Adventists sections, although the clear distinction between the religious denominations no longer exists as the fences dividing the sections were removed in the 1970's.

The Cemetery is now administered by The Greater Eastern Capital City Council (formerly the Yarrolumla Shire). A lawn cemetery commenced during the early 1980's with all burials now taking place in the lawn section with the exception of people whom have reserved plots in the old headstone section.

Many graves are unmarked and records have been located from various sources, such as newspapers, Register of Births Deaths and Marriage indexes, Death Certificates, Family History etc.

Total names located:1351
Names on headstones/plaques: 742
Unmarked graves: 609
 
Email: barry.stephenson@exemail.com.au

 

Data submitted by

These pages were produced by P.Applebee ©2004