South Isis Cemetery
GPS: 25 15.3138, 152 20.89417
The South Isis Cemetery located off Aerodrome Road to the south of Childers has been closed to burials since the 1940's and is now regarded as a place of historical significance.
The cemetery, now administered by Council, was established in the mid 1870's with the first recorded burial in 1877. The South Isis area at that time was experiencing significant growth with farming practices attracting settlers and their families leading to the creation of small communities and even a school.
A major flood in 1942 demonstrated the flood-prone nature of the low-lying cemetery land and this, in conjunction with diminishing use of the facility, led to its closure to burials.
Large galvanised double gates provide an impressive entryway to the eight hectares of land which comprises the cemetery.
As a final resting place, the district pioneers who are buried here could not want for a better location. It evokes silence and serenity. Only the slight rumble of traffic from the nearby highway and the odd drone of light aircraft taking off and landing at the adjacent Childers airstrip offer and interruption to the sounds of nature.
The Friends of the South Isis Cemetery was a group established in the early 2000's and was responsible for undertaking remedial work that ensured this historic site would be retained for posterity.
The group received a heritage grant in late 2011 and this allowed for the purchase of the cemetery gates as well as the identification of gravesites and some protective fencing. Some names will be lost forever such as the six gravesites with simple plaques bearing the inscription “Unknown baby of the Isis”.