Paradise Cemetery

Campbells Creber Road
Paradise. QLD.




Lat: -25.34530

Long: 151.92623


The town of Paradise owed its existence to a gold reef on the eastern bank of the Burnett River, extending from Paradise Creek to Finney's Creek. The discovery of the gold deposit by the brothers James and Thomas Allen in 1889 led to the proclamation of the Paradise Goldfield in November 1890 and caused a gold rush that attracted around 700 people. The town was surveyed in 1891 and it consisted of a range of businesses and services, including hotels, shops, industrial workshops, a post office and court house. The population of the town peaked at approximately 2000 people. The field was very rich in gold, but the mineral was difficult to extract. Yields declined rapidly in the late 1890s and the town ceased to exist from the early twentieth century, with most of the buildings removed to other settlements in the surrounding district, including Biggenden, Mount Shamrock and Mount Perry. The remaining physical evidence of the town was submerged under the Paradise Dam in 2005.

The Paradise Cemetery Reserve was gazetted to the north east of the township. The earliest inscription is from 16 March 1890 and the last burial is dated 5 October 1922. There are a total of twenty-eight burials recorded for the cemetery, Including a number of children.

The Paradise Cemetery is located in the north east of the former township on approximately two hectares of partially cleared bushland bordering onto a farming property in the north and the road in the east. The site is slightly sloped and features native grasses, trees and shrubs of varying stages of maturity.

There are a number of marked graves with a variety of surrounds, including galvanised roll-top mesh fencing, a metal pipe structure and wrought iron surrounds. Memorials feature headstones of varying shapes, materials and conditions.



Online Data
Headstone Photos


Click Image to Enlarge












Photographs and Data By

These pages were produced by P.Applebee ©2020