Angaston's first cemetery was established in 1847 on an acre of land bought from G F Angas at a cost of ten shillings. It was conducted as a private operation under the management of a group of trustees.
The cemetery was enclosed by a stone wall paid for by subscription and divided into 80 plots measuring 8 ½ feet by 8 feet. Money subscribed was credited as part payment against leases or fees. The cemetery was heavily regulated with an annual maintenance fee. In 1848, the burial fee was one pound divided equally between the minister, sexton and cemetery trust fund.
According to the register, 223 people were buried in this cemetery between 1847 and 1869. Only a few marked plots remain, the earliest dated 1856.