Hoffnungsthal Lutheran Cemetery
Lyndoch Valley Road
|Life at Hoffnungsthal is explained in the diary of Otto Tepper. Our cottage was built of round and split wood, plastered with clay, whitewashed and thatched with straw, with at first a kitchen with small hearth, oven, chimney of rough stonework, fixed and plastered with clay, a rather large room serving as sitting, eating and chief bedroom, and two much smaller rooms each on the back and northern end, the former for mother's use the other as a store room for wheat ... Then father first got a pair of goats for milk, with kids, which we boys had to mind during the day. Sometime later he added yards for two cows and later yet, got also two bullocks and a plough. We also had a fenced garden for the cultivation of seeds and a bigger strip further away for vegetables as well, on the black soil flat.|
He also described his daily routine as being from , after breakfast, in school till among and with the older children, and after dinner helping mother, or in the garden and attending to the livestock. Paul (brother) went to school in the afternoon from to then with him playing or working till the evening, getting in the cattle or milking, and after supper learning lessons, parts of the catechism, bible verses, tables, reading story books, and the German newspaper "Deutsche Zeitung" all in German print.
written by August
The settlement was in existence for six years but just as it began to expand, disaster struck. In September 1853 thunderstorms producing torrential rain continued for a week with a vast sheet of deep water covering a large part of the settlement. Unable to prevent future flooding those in the low lying areas gradually moved away and settled elsewhere. The church and cemetery continued to be used until 1867 when facilities were established on the Independent Chapel premises, previously used by the Baptists, on the road to Williamstown. The former Hoffnungsthal congregation became known as St Jakobi.