Torie's Grave Photos
South Kilkerran takes its name from the Hundred of Kilkerran which in turn was named after Governor Sir James Fergusson's family home in Scotland.
The area was first settled by German settlers who had left their home land to avoid religious persecution.
The German migrants belonged to three religious orders:
The Moravian Brethren, the Evangelical Lutheran Synod and the Immanuel Synod.
In 1878 the first two groups built the St. John Church which they both used in separate services.
In 1882 people of the third order moved into the district and they too used St. John's.
It was also used as a school until a school was built.